Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Dads and Kids

It is really overwhelming how much having children changes your life. I remember just two years ago how Barie and I were satisfied to just spend our money on our own stuff and spend all our free time on our own hobbies. How times have changed. I think children are God's way of really showing you how selfish you are. I know that I am amazed at how many times I get home from work and want to do "my thing." What's up with that? I guess the selfish sin nature still drives us more than we know. Selfishness is really apparent when I'm tired and dry spiritually. No wonder so many dads are losers in the area of giving to their kids. They have never gotten over themselves, and even if they have, they are so tired from working too many hours that they have nothing to give their families.

Being in student ministry has given me an interesting and unique perspective on the place of dads in the lives of their kids. I can now guess with startling accuracy when I meet a student whether or not they have a father who is engaged. By "engaged" I don't mean just there, but actually a part of the kid's life. How do I know? Well, the symptoms are everywhere, but the most obvious is the need for love and attention they seek from everyone else. As we get close to Father's Day 2005, I am reminded every day by my students about the importance of being a godly man who loves and cares for my sons.

May each of you fathers drive to be the man you would be proud if your sons become.

1 comment:

Danny Burch said...

Hey brother, just want to send my encouragments for you and your family. You are a great dad and husband and I have been lucky to be a part of yours and your family's lives.