Friday, June 03, 2005

Doing What You Were Made To Do

As I sit around with our college students this weekend at Lake Granbury, I am reminded of a couple of things that God taught me a long time ago but are easy to forget. First, God is in the business of equipping every person in the church for the work of the ministry. Sometimes, those of us in vocational ministry begin to think that the church would not be able to function if we didn't do every ministry in the church. But we are missing the clear teaching of the apostle Paul in Romans 12:3-8 when he says that we are not to think too highly of ourselves, but are to recognize that we are all members of one body that have been gifted differently to accomplish the will of God in the church. This is an amazing fact that should challenge us to be thankful for the different giftings of every person in the church. They are gifted for a ministry in the church that I will never be able to accomplish.

Second, the Lord God of the universe has designed me as an individual to do something specific in the church. This is so encouraging and so challenging at the same time. Each of us has been gifted and designed by God to do one thing. Is the reason that so many people burn out and get discouraged in their ministry in the church because they are functioning in an area that they are not gifted for and not passionate about. Therefore, the question we must all answer is: what is the one thing that God has designed me to do in His church?

Of anything in my life, I want to be passionate about the church of Jesus. I want to wake up in the morning and go to bed at night excited about what God is doing in and through my life. Idealistic, some will say. Too young to know any different, others will say.

I will say - just hopeful that something better is possible.

No comments: