Saturday, April 22, 2006

Movie Review: Luther

So, Barie and I finally got sucked into Netflix for two reasons. First, they now have an option where you pay only $9.99 a month and you keep one movie at a time instead of the original three. We figure if we were going to Blockbuster twice a month, we will break even because of not having to drive to the store to rent a movie (I mean, what's up with gas?). And second, Upromise was offering a promotional where they would donate $12 to your account if you signed up. We've been using Upromise for a while to raise some extra money to help with the boys' college. So, all that prep to say we watched Luther this week. Actually, that's not completely accurate; I watched it while Barie slept through it. I don't blame her, though. If I was 6 months pregnant and chasing two boys all day, I don't think I'd make it past 8:00 PM. Again, I digress. We watched Luther, and since I've done some research on his life in the last couple of years, I was really excited to see what they did with his life. Of course, they took a few artistic liberties with the history, but for the most part, the film was captivating. I was moved by the movie's depiction of the violence that was done throughout the Reformation period in the name of Christ. As someone who deeply appreciates the theological underpinnings of the Reformers, I am still deeply saddened by the violent acts committed during this time of history. I think the whole period is an excellent demonstration of how the "deep" things of the faith may not be doctrinal minutiae that we fixate on, but the reality of living out the life of Jesus. I mean, what is deeper than "love and pray for your enemy"? I would propose that it is possible for us to be completely 'biblical' people and still not live out the simple and radical teachings of Christ. I am thankful to Martin Luther for his convictions on the truth, his teachings on justification by faith alone in Christ alone, and his desire for the common man to read the Word in his mother tongue. But in some crazy way, I am also saddened by the division and individualism that are also natural descendents of the Protestant Reformation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey kieth, its me ryan ellsworth. hows it going? I was just thinking about you so i googled your name and blog. I was shocked to see how big your boys have gotten.You have a beautiful family. Well im doing good. I think Im going to go to criswell college next semester. I think. Andy's in Japan. Hes doin okay. Well I just wanted to say hey and thanks for everything. You've been a great leader to me and many others and I know you are leading people now more than ever. I hope to see you again someday and will keep you in my prayers. Keep up the good work kieth. your friend ***********ryan

Brent said...

That was a very good movie. My favorite part was when the nuns showed up.

Keith Ferguson said...

Ryan!

Great to hear from you, man! Thanks for sharing about Andy in Japan and your plans for attending Criswell. That is a great school. I am excited to think about how God will use you in the future to build his church. You are an awesome guy, Ryan, with huge potential for the kingdom. Keep me in the loop so I can be praying for you.

Keith