Friday, May 12, 2006

Great Day...

I had the privilege today of coming back to Dallas to participate in commencement activities at DTS. We had commencement chapel this morning and a family BBQ this evening. It has been awesome to catch up with many classmates I haven't seen in six months and to see how God is leading each of them in their lives. I am encouraged to think of how the body of Christ will be built up and the world impacted by these men and women. I am thankful for the impact that the faculty and students have had in my life. Sometime, I will have to share about some of the unique students I have befriended and where they are serving around the nation and world. While there are certainly things seminary cannot teach you, I would not be the person I am today without the influence of the godly men and women at DTS. I'm looking forward to the official commencement ceremony tomorrow.

The other reason it was a great day? I even had time to catch a nap this afternoon!

What's in my iPod today? Listening to Erwin McManus at Mosaic in LA and Matt Chandler at The Village in Dallas.

3 comments:

Brent said...

Enjoy & savor every second of it. You earned it.

Of course, I didn't want to wait six months to hang my degree on my wall (which gave me PLENTY of closure, despite everybody telling me that the commencement weekend would be the only way to do that) so I picked up mine in January. In fact, at the precise time of graduation for my class, I was sitting with 5 and 3 year old pig-tailed blondes watching the Rangers at The Ballpark. DTS had taken enough time and money of mine and I spent my graduation with hot dogs, nachos, parking, tickets, etc.--and spent precisely the amount that graduation festivities would've cost me. I don't regret it.

Of course, I didn't have time to make many friends during my time at DTS with other students, though. I was busy with this ridiculous idea called "The Breakfast Club" that started at this awful hour (like 6:13AM?) and this unbelievable group of teenagers that, to this day, I don't know if I've ever had more joy in watching them follow God as a group.

Funny, but when I think of my time at DTS, all the memories seem to intertwine with a group of teens from TLC...

Marni said...

Erwin McManus rocks! I love The Barbarian Way :) I'm hooked on Rob Bell's sermons right now...he's so great and God gives him such specific things to say that speak right to me...You should add Velvet Elvis (his latest book) to your stack of "to reads" if you haven't read it already.

We need to rent "Walk the Line". We so wanted to go see it when it was in the theaters, but we NEVER go to the movies unless we are with Lindsay and Paige and those movies are generally, ummmm....what's the word...oh yeah, LAME!! :)

Keith Ferguson said...

Brent - you made a good move by taking your girls to a baseball game. I am so thankful that my family has given so much to get me through school. They are the heroes who made a master's degree possible.