Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Movie Review: Walk the Line

This movie is your typical messed-up music star life story, with plenty of drugs, drinking, extramarital sex, etc. going on in the life of Johnny Cash. While the man was obviously a musical genius, like so many who find fame, the depravity of man simply overwhelms any joy or peace he might find. The story reminded me a lot of Ray, where drug addiction and lack of self-control with the ladies led to all kinds of personal problems and broken relationships. I am glad that the movie did little to glorify Cash's lifestyle, but simply laid out the results of his choices. The surprising part of the story to me, however, was the incredibly broken relationship that Cash had with his dad. I appreciate the force with which the movie shows how Cash's pain over being rejected by his dad caused him years of problems. While Johnny Cash is obviously responsible for his own actions throughout his life, I couldn't help be reminded of the huge role we play as dads in the lives of our sons and daughters. I know that I go to bed each night thinking about my stewardship responsibility before God with my boys. I hope that all of us who are parents take seriously the role that we play in training up our kids.

1 comment:

Sandra R. said...

This movie was great! I wish they would've shown a little more emphasis on Johnny Cash's faith and June Carter's influence...

It's good to hear from you. Glad to hear all is well. Check out my blog when you get the chance. :-)
www.supersummertexas.blogspot.com

Prayers for you all!