Thursday, June 08, 2006

Book Review: To Own A Dragon

I really enjoy reading Donald Miller, if for no other reason, because he is one of the few readers that makes me laugh out loud. I finished up his new book, To Own A Dragon, this morning at Starbucks, and found myself several times having to apologize to my fellow coffee drinkers for my outbursts. Of course, this is not the only reason that Miller is great. He is authentic and transparent in his writing, allowing us to struggle with him as he wrestles with his relationships with people and his relationship with God. I did not grow up without a Father, and so I did not necessarily connect with some of his book, but it was enlightening to me in multiple ways. First, I have a real passion for men - to see them excel in their walk with Christ and to see them love their wives and love their kids. Second, I am preaching on Father's Day in two weeks, and it was a good reminder to me that not everyone had the same experience I did growing up. And third, I believe that fathers have a profound impact on the way their kids see God. Miller helped me hone my thoughts in all three areas. I would highly recommend his work to men who have been through his experience, but I would also encourage it as an important read for dads. We cannot be reminded enough of the significant role we play in our homes. Great book...

1 comment:

Brent said...

I agree with your review and am glad to hear the same thoughts I had on it from someone who did grow up with a dad.

See, I like Donald Miller, too and didn't know if my positive thoughts about the book were because of my own dispositions and relating to the subject matter so deeply.

I recommend it, too...and have given it to several dads.