Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Reverse-Engineered Life

I've been thinking a lot the last week about who I want to be (and what I want to model for the people in my church). I've been praying that the Lord would help me think clearly about the end goal so that I can make sure I'm moving in the right direction. I believe now more than ever that we roll through most of life without ever taking time to ask the question, "am I becoming the kind of person that I want to be?" Life goes so fast (especially with children) that we are consistently busy in our lives that we very rarely take time to work on our lives. But, if we stopped for a minute to ask if we were becoming the kind of people God wants us to be, we might be forced into some life-changes. I'll post some thoughts in the next couple of weeks about the kind of man I hope to be (by God's grace) so that you can see what I'm talking about specifically, but for now I'm curious if you ever take the time to reflect on who you are becoming or if you find yourself simply trying to keep up with the daily pace of life....

1 comment:

Hallam Fam News said...

i absolutely know what you mean. i find myself all the time questioning, would i have said that sentence or made that face in anger/frustration if kinsey were old enough to really understand and copy it? and by the same token, what if that person i just was short-tempered with at the auto parts store ends up in the row behind me at church tomorrow? tim's sermon this morning was awesome - it was a much needed reminder of how self-absorbed we can be. if i turn my focus to others and to modeling Christ to them vs. expressing myself in the way i'd like to in that moment, how different would i behave? -darin