Sunday, August 06, 2006

Props for a tough sermon...

I need to give a shout-out to the pastor of HCBC Pflugerville, Danny Box, for delivering a really good sermon on a really tough topic today, the use of the sign gifts in the church today. I'm pretty sure that this is the only time in my life as a Christian that I have heard a sermon on this topic. Danny's message today was another good reminder for me about why preaching expositionally is so important (he's preaching through 1 Corinthians) - it forces us to cover topics we might otherwise never choose to preach. You can hear his sermon HERE. Also, since I believe the pastor needs to be the chief theologian for the church, I was glad to hear a pastor step up to the plate and tackle a tough theological issue with authority, sincerity, and love. While this type of sermon doesn't lend itself easily to life-application (and therefore wouldn't be healthy for a long-term diet), it does help the people in the church to think biblically and theologically about their use of the spiritual gifts. Rock on...

No comments: