Monday, September 04, 2006

What will never get old...

A few thoughts about what I love about being a dad,
the things in my life that will never get old...

...teaching my sons about the nature and character of God.
...holding a newborn and watching him smile in his sleep.
...hearing "Daddy" screamed when I walk in the door from a long day at work.
...watching the boys learn something new and using new words that we didn't know they knew.
...running through the sprinkler in the front yard.
...having an excuse to watch Tom and Jerry reruns before bed.
...singing songs at the top of our lungs and dancing with all our strength.
...seeing expressions of joy when the boys get the courage to do something new they were afraid to do before (like climb to the top of the McDonald's playground).
...having my boy wake me up with a tap on my arm wanting to just crawl in bed with me.
...showing the boys how to play sports, ride bikes, fish, and do other outdoor activities.
...reading books to the boys and hearing them quote the lines before they can even read.
...wrestling on the floor and creating dog-piles with the boys.
...laughing so hard from tickling each other than we can't breathe.

3 comments:

Brent said...

You know, that thing where they say "daddy" when you get home? Yeah. That gets better with daughters...

...who are teenagers...

...who close their homework, walk into the room, and hug you...

...right when you get home.

Marni said...

Oh AMEN to what Brent said. Dane and I never feel so loved as when Lindsay will get off the phone, log off of her website or turn off her stereo just to come say "hi" to us when one of us walks in the door :)

I'm glad you love being a daddy so much Keith. It suits you so well...

Hallam Fam News said...

You left out one small detail about the sprinklers - watching your son kink up the hose and aim it at you with a gleam in his eye and then completely soak your unsuspecting friends :-)