Sunday, October 22, 2006

Eternal Justice

Just finished a short book by Elie Wiesel, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, who, as sixteen year-old young man, was sent to a German concentration camp (actually several camps) during the last two years of World War II. Wiesel's tale is so powerful and gut-wrenching. It is one of those books I've needed to read for a while, but wasn't sure that I was ready to process the information I knew I would find inside. Wiesel's writing has a minimalist style, so that he says so little about the devastating events that he witnessed. Some of the most riveting passages for me had to do with the Jews struggle for faith in the face of horrendous evil. As Wiesel says in the intro, I'm sure that language limits the ability to communicate the horrors that he witnessed, but his efforts helped me again to process what I believe about following a crucified Savior and about eternal justice. In my mind, if I didn't believe that justice will finally be done when this life is over, there are moments where I'm not sure I could continue. But I do believe that every man and woman will stand before a holy God after this life, and that every believer will face the judgment seat of Christ. And that we will all give an account, and that all will be made right. The Bible says this is true, but books like this help me to know why belief in eternal justice is so important. I hope we never forget the evil done to the Jews during WWII, and that we never doubt the depravity of our own hearts to commit tremendous evil.

No comments: