Sunday, October 15, 2006

Life in Transition

I've had a lot of time to think about transition over the last year. Lots of new relationships and new responsibilities. New cities, new homes, new jobs, new challenges. Though I think most people are too tied to stability as a personal value to risk for God, I can say that I now know why stability is so alluring. Strong friendships are hard to build (by which, I mean time demanding), and when life moves you around, friendships change drastically. You never completely loose contact with people, but relationships definitely change whenever you don't see people daily like you used to. So what have I learned through all this transition, especially relationally?

First, I need deep friendships. I think all of us do - we may be too proud to recognize this, but we all need friends who will have the hard conversations with us, pray with us through difficult circumstances, listen to us carry on about our insecurities, and help carry our burdens. We need friends who will walk the second mile with us, who we know care about us deeply.

Second, my best friend will always be my wife. One thing I did not understand before marriage was that Barie will go with me anywhere and other people will not. She is such a grace-filled, truth-telling, God-honoring wife. But more than that, I am treasuring her more as the deepest friend and companion I will have in this life.

And third, I need to walk closer to Jesus. Transition and new starts tend to strip away a lot of facades that we seem to build in order to maintain a public persona. But also, major transition forces us to reevaluate our source of identity. I have found that though I thought my personal identity was secure in Christ, I can so quickly find it in my relationships and my position. Changing both relationships and positions have reminded me that I must cling to Jesus for personal purpose and identity. I need Him more than I have ever even understood.

What have major transitions taught you about yourself, God, and life?

2 comments:

Brent said...

I've learned that those relationships formed in true Christian community are eternal.

And that those eternal relationships may morph in this realm, but it's still cool to check in every now and again.

And that you will never regret building into the lives of others with the love and grace of Christ.

And that seeing the fruit from those relationships built & morphed, and invested in, even if from a distance or even by blog, is truly joyful.

Marni said...

God's grace is indeed sufficient...

We may not get to keep the people we love dearly in our day to day lives, but we'll just pick up where we left off when we walk the streets of gold together...

God is so amazing to model a fraction of His love for us by giving us friends to love so much...

Burdens are so much easier to bear when someone willingly takes your load and says "Here, let me help carry that for you"...

Knowing a friend prays you through the worst, scariest, darkest, trying times of your life is a blessing that can't be measured...

God can take tragedies from all our lives and use them for His glory and the salvation of souls. Were it not for yours and Barie's obvious faith during your dark days years ago, Dane would not be spending eternity with Jesus...

We miss you guys more than I think I can express. It's not like you're in another solar system ;) but we don't get to see you daily like we used to and that is taking some serious adjustment. BUT, we are blessed in watching how this move was for the greater good of God's marvelous kingdom...and like I said earlier, we'll just take this back up in eternity when we can hang out daily again. I just hope Heaven has chips and salsa!!

love you guys,

m