Wednesday, October 11, 2006

what's been happening...

Lot's to talk about and so little time...

We've officially moved into our first home (that we own, I mean). It is amazing how your perspective on your house changes when you actually own it - like trying to take care of it a little more. We have always kept a clean home, but now we own this house. Of course, keeping it in one piece with three little boys who have fluids coming out of every orifice in their bodies is a little difficult. But the house looks good right now anyway!

We spent all of last week painting the entire house, and now I know why I don't do that for a living. Unbelievable amount of work to paint a whole house (every room), especially when your wife has a desire to "show her personality" by adding color throughout the house. It looks really good, but I will be great if I don't have pick up a roller or a brush for a while. My odds are not improving, however, since we didn't finish the master bathroom and Barie is already asking when I'm going to get on that.

Church planting stuff is cruising along now and picking up speed. The first email prayer letter went out this last week, and we are setting up our first prayer walk for a week from Saturday. It should be great to get out and walk some of the neighborhoods that we are trying to reach. Barie and I got a chance to meet a bunch of our neighbors on Sunday evening because the builder of our neighborhood threw a block-party for all the new residents. It was great to get to know everyone. It seems really promising - like we are going to have some awesome relationships in our neighborhood. I can't get over how many of our neighbors are newly-weds, married two years or less. It feels strange to be married 6.5 years and feel like we're one of the most experienced on our streets. Having three kids has made Barie and I feel like we are learning how to do this marriage thing right all over again.

I did some research on the churches in Round Rock over the last couple of weeks, and the numbers are very interesting. We called every single church in Round Rock (from all theological perspectives, including the 2 Catholic churches), and found that on a typical Sunday morning, about 20,000 people attend any kind of church in RR. If you add up the total seating capacity of every church in RR (so that they were all full for all their services), the total number could get to 25,000 before every church was full. Considering that the city has 87,000 residents now and is expected to have 100,000 by 2010, the need for a new church plant in the city is evident. Very few of our neighbors I interacted with on Sunday evening attend a church, so we are looking forward to many awesome spiritual conversations in the years to come.

More later...

2 comments:

Dionne said...

The potential for the church plant soudns awesome! I am really praying that God will get us there soon. Oh, and don't hang up the paintbrush too soon, I would think that with all your recent experience, when we move, you could help Kurt out with our house!

Dana said...

That all sounds amazing. I can't believe I lost the first church letter you sent. Will you please add me to any list you have. I already pray for y'all but it would be awesome to know specific things to keep in mind.
The house sounds wonderful, I can't wait to see pictures.