Thursday, July 19, 2007

Darwin's Darkness

Interesting quote in today's mail from a regular letter I receive from Desiring God ministries. In making the point that we become what we behold, they used a fascinating quote from Charles Darwin's autobiography about his inability to enjoy beauty later in life. Check out these chilling words...

Up to the age of 30 or beyond it, poetry of many kids...gave me great pleasure, and even as a schoolboy I took intense delight in Shakespeare...Formerly pictures gave me considerable, and music very great, delight. But now for many years I cannot endure to read a line of poetry: I have tried to read Shakespeare, and found it so intolerably dull that it nauseated me. I have also almost lost any taste for pictures or music...I retain some taste for fine scenery, but it does not cause me the exquisite delight which it formerly did...My mind seems to have become a kind of machine for grinding external laws out of large collections of facts, but why this should have caused the atrophy of that part of the brain alone, on which the higher tastes depend, I cannot conceive...The loss of these tastes is a loss of happiness, and may possibly be injurious to the intellect, and more probably to the moral character, by enfeebling the emotional part of our nature.

Could this be because we were made to dwell on more than just the natural?

1 comment:

Hallam Fam News said...

Well my young friend Keith, speaking as someone OVER 30, I can say that I still find incredible beauty in scenery and poetry. I find more and more evidences of our incredible creative and talented God when I see what he created in the natural world, and what he inspires in his children. Many Christians spend so much energy despising folks like Darwin - I can't help but feel so very sorry for him and the emptiness of his life after reading this quote.