Thursday, January 17, 2008

Day 17/90: Exodus 31-35, Psalms 55-60, Luke 1-3

Key Points:
  • Exodus 33 is one chapter that I think every spiritual leader should re-read on a regular basis. My heart so connects with Moses' words, "If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here." We declare that if God does not go with us on this journey, we don't want to go - it is a confession of trust and desperation and it honors God's right place in our lives. I also love Moses' ask to see God's glory in 33:18 - I can so relate to Moses' desire to see more of God. As I'm serving Him and following Him, there are days when I just want to see more of God's greatness and glory. And I love that God says I can't show my full glory to your face or you will die. What an awesome God we serve --
  • Also challenged in Exodus today by all the reminders to observe the festivals and the Sabbath day. It seems to me that God is calling the Israelites to those behaviors that will help them not forget what God had done. Personal q: what do we do in our lives to make sure we don't forget God's work in our past?
  • The psalmist challenges me to put my trust in God when it comes to bringing justice on those who are mistreating me. My gut response is to take justice in my own hands, but the psalmists continue to look to God for their deliverance. This is a great habit to get into and frees us up to be gracious and compassionate when we can leave the judging to God.
  • Two other actions that show we are trusting in God and not ourselves: first, we wait for God to move instead of taking everything into our own hands and our own time frame; second, we praise God even when things are not going well.
  • Quote of the Day: "Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth." Psalm 57:5
  • I love the detailed nature of Luke's gospel account, especially when you read it right next to Mark's account, which is the high-speed, short version. Luke obviously did his homework and desires to communicate the exact details of the story to the reader. As a detail-guy, I really appreciate his work.
  • Protestants get scared when talking about Mary, the mother of Jesus, because of all the abuses that they Catholic church have done to her character in the NT. However, we would be remiss if we didn't stop to see the beauty of her song in Luke 1:46-55 - she expresses wonderful faith in God and His character.
  • Jesus is definitely the Jewish Messiah; it's hard to miss Luke's implications of this with the angel's promise (he will sit on David's throne forever), Mary's song (God has remembered His promise to Abraham), and Zechariah's song (God has raised up from David's line the horn of salvation). As I'm reading this in conjunction with the OT, I'm reminded how intimately the two are connected. It is unfortunate that the church is so weak in the OT because it really does lead to a wrong reading of the NT.
  • I love Luke's narrative of the birth of Jesus and his childhood, I think because it is the only snapshot we get of Jesus as a boy in the NT. I really like 2:40 and 2:52 about Jesus having God's grace on his life and him growing in wisdom. You can't think too long and hard about the God of the universe growing in wisdom, but there it is for us to wrestle with...another pointing to His full humanity.

1 comment:

bryanw said...

God reminded me today that He gave me ALL my talents and that He IS concerned about the details of our life...so often I think about grazing over the details assuming he cares only about the Big Picture...however Exodus shows us just the opposite. He is interested in the details of my life.

Psalms reminded me today to trust in God regardless of my circumstances...praising Him in the Storm as well!!

The opening of Luke was interesting to see that he had done his research before he decided to write about these details. Luke reminds me that all things are possible with God, which I think is why God chose Elizabeth and Mary, 2 people who never dreamed God could use them to reach millions!!!