Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Day 29/30: Num 21-25, Ps 127-132, Jn 13-15

Finished DWAP (a discipleship study) with the staff today (20 whole weeks of study & memorizing verses) - it was a great time with two awesome guys - Nick & Douglas. We are so blessed to have them on our team. I've also been trying to do DWAP with my lovely wife, but every time we get together to work on the study, kissing seems to ensue and greatly impedes our progress.

Today's key points:
  • So much to learn from the Balaam - Balak narratives in the Numbers reading today. What really stood out to me was Balaam's commitment to only speak the words that God wanted him to speak, regardless of the pressure put on him or the reward promised him - great life lesson there. Also, the messianic prophecy at the end of Numbers 24 always impresses me - in Balaam's final oracle, God gives him a vision of Christ.
  • I have to quote Psalm 127 at length tonight: "Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate." Amen & Amen - so contrary to our world that sees children as a burden to manage instead of a blessing to enjoy.
  • I love Psalm 130 - gives me words to express my heart so clearly.
  • Nothing rocks you more than to read about your Savior on his hands and knees washing the dirty feet of his disciples, serving them in the lowest position in order to teach us about true humility and service. I have a long way to go.
  • I have to comment also on John 13:17, because I think it summarizes our struggle in the American church today: "now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." Again pointing out the fact that knowledge is not the same as obedience. God, save us from our disobedient over-information.

No comments: