Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Day One: Genesis 1-5, Job 1-6, Matthew 1-3

Time: 38:30
Main Points:
  • God is the Creator. He created everything good and with purpose.
  • Men & women have broken God's law from the beginning. We not only have inherited the guilt of our first parents, but their nature to easily twist God's intention for our lives and go our own way.
  • Suffering is a reality in this life, but the question is always how we handle that adversity in our relationship with the Father. Can we maintain our integrity and question the circumstances without cursing God?
  • Jesus is the Jewish Messiah - from the line of Abraham and David, the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies about the coming King. For me to fully understand his identity, I need to understand Him inside his own culture, not mine.
Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Bryan W said...

Hey...I have some random thoughts/questions..from my reading today

1. Where did these other people come from that Adam's line married? Cain is out building a city all these people are there...I'm sure they were created but when?

2. Only God is with you always...it's easy for people to be with you on the mountain of prosperity, but when when you start to slide, only God goes with you all the way!!!

3.It is impossible for me to expect life to be perfect, even in the events surrounding the birth of Jesus there was so much turmoil and confusing for his parents. I'm sure these were not the plans they had for bringing a child into this world, but above all God is still in control.

Hallam Fam News said...

It took me about 45 minutes to read this first day's worth. I'm not the quickest reader in the bunch.

Like you, I'm so glad to know God as the first - Creator and not created. This helps to look at the Job and Matthew sections and remember that Creator is also in control.

In suffering and turmoil, I find it difficult to steer my thoughts away from blaming God or at least asking him why he did this to me, or worse yet, I find myself thinking that I'm too good to deserve this - whatever 'this' happens to be. I'm challenged again by Job's question to his wife, "shall we accept good from God and not trouble?"