Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Day Two: Genesis 6-10, Job 7-12, Matthew 4-6

Time: 44:52
Key Points:
  • Noah's story is an amazing look at the judgment of our God against sin and his grace and mercy in saving Noah's family and making a covenant promise never to destroy the world again. Without this promise, one has to wonder if God would have already been moved to judgment again with the sinfulness of our world.
  • Job's discussion with his friends is a revealing examination of how we process suffering and pain. His friends, in their attempt to help, keep point Job to find the sin in his own life that provoked God to bring such terrible events into his life. Job, for his part, states that he knows God well; in fact, he goes on to speak at length about God's character in some beautiful verses about God's justice and sovereignty and mercy and strength. However, Job is honest that he has questions for God - he wants a hearing with God to argue his case. His story is our story when we go through extremely hard trials - leaning on God's eternal character while having difficult questions for God that can't be easily answered.
  • I see a great picture of the gospel in Job 9:33-35 where Job says that he just wants someone to mediate between him and the Father. He asks for someone to remove God's judgment from him - this is such a wonderful picture of what Jesus Christ did for us. He is, as the NT says, the only Mediator between God and man.
  • I'm preaching on the sermon on the mount section of Matthew this spring, so I see more in this passage than I could possibly mention here. However, one word jumped out at me in a fresh way during this ready: secrecy. God wants us to practice our walk with Christ in such a way that we guard against always trying to get credit for doing good. Very challenging - especially pushes me to work at the discipline of silence.

3 comments:

bryanw said...

Reading about Noah made me stop and wonder just what Noah might have been like that God would change his mind about destroying the earth all because of this one man! Would he change his mind because of me???? I'm sure we all know the answer to that!

I found it interesting to read about Job and the frustrations he had, however, always knowing the God was in charge, never giving up on God, then to turn around and read Jesus words (Matthew) that we are to not worry about the petty things of this earth because the Father always has our back!

T Buss said...

I love Matthew 27. It is nice to know that I don't have to worry about every little thing when it comes to my children. God does have a plan for our family!

Hallam Fam News said...

This one took an hour and 10 minutes.

I might have dozed off once, so you'll have to spot me 10 minutes or so...ha

Noah's story blows me away on so many levels, not the least of which is to realize again that they were on the boat for so long. Huge faith is there to just stay on the boat and not freak out that God has totally abandoned you.

Job reminds me that God is in control. I don't understand how in the face of such pressure from his friends Job could just basically say that God did this because He's God and He can. Job didn't look for a reason or an escape, he just knew that this was what God decided to allow.