Friday, February 15, 2008

Day 46/90: Judges 6-10, Isa 19-24, 1 Cor 1-3

Highlights of today's reading:
  • This section of Judges describes the beginning of the downward spiral of Israel away from the ways of the Lord into their own idolatry. I am especially challenged by the fact that God tells the people that the reason they get in this boat is because they have failed to listen to Him. I hope I'm not repeating that sin of failing to listen to God - He knows best - His ways are true.
  • Gideon's story reminds me that even strong leaders can have weak faith and continue to test God even after they know God has said go.
  • The Isaiah reading reminds me that even in God's announcement of judgment, God is showing His mercy - He wants His people to repent and turn back to Him, to find healing and restoration. This again shows us the compassion of God for a hard-hearted people. I'm just not sure I want to be Isaiah in chapter 20 having to walk around barefoot and stripped down just to be an object lesson for God's coming judgment.
  • I walk away from the first three chapters of 1 Corinthians reminded that though the cross of Jesus Christ is foolishness to the world, it is what unifies all who make up the church. Our divisions are small because our unity is strong at the cross.

No comments: