Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Day 83/90: 2 Chron 25-30, Micah 1-4, 1 John 1-3

Today's reading highlights:
  • Uzziah's story in 2 Chron 26 is a powerful reminder of how success can be our downfall. This story is set in complete opposition to Jehosaphat's story we looked at last night. Jehosaphat was faced with overwhelming circumstances (big enemy army) and decided to throw himself on the mercy of God and God delivered. Uzziah begins to have many successes, but 26:16 says of him, "after Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the Lord his God..." This is very instructive to me now in a time of real blessing in my ministry - will I stay humbly dependent on the Lord?
  • How can you not just love Hezekiah and his amazing leadership of Judah recorded in 29 & 30? He does everything right as the leader of his people, encouraging and equipping them to worship the Lord again. I especially love how he led the people to celebrate Passover for the first time in a long time. Can you believe God's people had gone so long without celebrate their great history of deliverance from Egypt? So easy to forget the great things God has done, huh?
  • After reading Kings and Chronicles and understanding again how much war was a part of the national life of these countries in the Ancient Near-East, Micah's words about peace between countries in chapter 4 take on a whole new meaning. This was (and is) an amazing promise - the day is coming when the Lord will execute His justice and reign on the earth and all war and conflict will cease. I'm looking forward to that day...
  • I love the eye-witness nature of John's testimony - its like he is saying, "I was there - I saw the whole thing, you can trust my testimony about the life and person and teachings of Jesus."
  • 1 John 2:15-17 is one of my favorite passages because it gives an answer to one of the "why" questions - I should pursue Christ above the pleasures of this world, because they are temporary, but the beauty of Christ is eternal.

No comments: