Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Raising the Dumbest Generation?

I'm not generally swayed by those who throw up extreme titles like "the dumbest generation" because they tend to oversimplify the situation in order to grab attention, but there is a lot in this review of a new book by this title that resonated with me. These are all stats we've seen and thought about before - more TV and internet, social networking and text-messaging, less reading of actual literature. I have seen the impact of this phenomenon on my generation and the one coming after us - less people able to have intelligent conversations about anything beyond pop-culture and less able to just relate to others about anything in person. Enough here to encourage me again to challenge my boys at young ages to become better readers than they are movie-watchers and web-surfers.

On a totally different note, the Rangers will be .500 today if they beat Seattle - what a streak...

2 comments:

Brent said...

The best way to develop readers is to read to them. We have plenty of media in our home...but as long as they're using their library cards & B&N cards, I'm pretty happy about it. We read LOTS to them when they were little (Shelby and I even read the entire Chronicles of Narnia series to each other, a chapter per night, one summer in the hammock) and now they read on their own.

What's interesting about all this is the impact it's having on the church. We have parents that come home exhausted and want to just "veg out." The kids pick up on this...

...well, suffice to say that thinking is hard work. Few want to do it, so they settle for entertainment.

Anonymous said...

Amen - I am so thankful that both you and Karen, now, enjoy the "written" word. It has always brought me so much entertainment, and I have really started enjoying the Christian fiction. I have to thank a fellow teacher for that encouragement. Keep reading!!!
Love, Mom