Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Go, Obama, Go...but wait...

Impressive last night to see an African-American win the Democratic nomination - even more impressive that he won against the machinery of the Clinton family. I think that speaks highly of his administrative leadership - his team did very well. My dad and I joke about Obama because dad thinks Obama will take all his money and send it to me - and thus, why dad thinks I will support Obama. I can see his logic, and thus why so many young people are supporting Obama. In reality, however, while I am very impressed with this guy, I don't know that I could vote for him. It's not that I am opposed to government solutions to societal issues - in fact, I'm not married to a small-government philosophy (which actually McCain does not champion either) of federal government. At some point, I probably was committed to it, but now that I have had more interaction with the poor and needy in our society, and seen the limitations of non-profits to address all these issues alone, I'm not opposed to government helping out. I personally don't put any faith in government to fix personal "heart" issues (and thus why I am more committed to using my efforts in the church than in the public sector), but I'm not antagonistic toward government either.

All that being said, I just don't know that I can vote for a guy who is so pro-abortion. If he would come out and say something like, "though I want to keep abortion legal, I'm committed to cutting the number of yearly abortions by half during my first term," I might reconsider. But I watched a speech that he gave to Planned Parenthood on YouTube, and he's not just pro-keeping abortion legal, he actually espouses abortion as a positive thing. I don't know how a liberal politician who is supposed to be for the little guy doesn't see the inconsistency of this message. Why not fight to keep it legal but fight harder to make it less frequent by supporting those organizations and efforts that help struggling moms when they are unexpectedly pregnant?

Our church supports a great organization like this in Round Rock called the Agape Pregnancy Center, and they do a great work to help young, poor, single moms process their unexpected pregnancy, but always with life as the best option. They provide classes and vouchers for much-needed baby supplies, and they always refer moms to other organizations that can help with other needs. Where is the public support for these efforts, not just the public support for organizations like Planned Parenthood that abort so many babies a year?

And why not more emphasis on adoption? Why not a huge nationwide campaign to push adoption as the better option to abortion? You don't want to keep your baby for personal or financial reasons? Understood, but I've got 5 families in my church right now who are struggling with infertility who would gladly pray through taking those kids.

So, like it or not, that's where I'm at. I don't like that it is a make-or-break issue for me, but it is - big time. Maybe it's because I have four kids of my own, but my heart is broken over this issue more than any other, because simple solutions seem right on our finger-tips, but no-one talks about them.

Update: read this article in the Wall Street Journal that expands my point above with more detail and research.

3 comments:

Momf said...

Well said, Son. I'll be sure to tell Dad to read your blog today.
Maybe we can find some more issues that you can disagree with Obama about in the near future.
Love, Mom

Brent said...

Well, frankly, the drawback to the adoption issue is really more incumbent on the behavior of the Christian community.

What I mean is this: If we, as a unified group, are going to champion adoption as an alternative, we'd better put our money and our actions where our mouths are. We'd better be about big-time adoption across the board...not just "healthy white infants." We'd better be about putting would-be moms into health care situations that we pay for. We need to be about any and all realities of our stance that are created...the unintended consequences.

Now, don't get me wrong. I firmly believe that life begins at conception, and that the Church needs to be about the things I listed and more.

The unfortunate reality is that years of ministry have shown me that if we teach both sides of the issue to our congregations, they get a bit more gun shy of their passion when it requires that the DO something.

I guess I struggle with idealism and reality...

...and candidates who all seem like politicians in the worst sense of the word.

Keith Ferguson said...

I appreciate your skepticism about those in the church who hammer this issue and yet do not do what is required to provide the alternatives.

But my heartburn goes beyond church and non-profit failures. I think churches and non-profits would respond if a national leader called them to respond. From a purely political perspective, I just wish a national political leader would honestly tell our country what would be required to lower the number of abortions and then challenge our nation to do it.