Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Year in Review: Life-Change Story #2

I first met Mike and Dawn Rivell at one of our front-yard cookouts. Our small group hosted a grill-out for our neighbors last fall and many of them came, bringing kids and lawn chairs to enjoy the cool weather and get to know their neighbors. Mike and Dawn live on the cul-de-sac behind us, and they decided to come over for the party and the food. It was really a great time.

Mike is a mechanical engineer at Dell who graduated from UT, and Dawn is a elementary school teacher. Mike and I hit it off quickly based on our similar engineering background, and very soon, we were having late-night discussion in my backyard on everything from the Bible and Jesus to evolution and war. Mike has a sharp mind, and he wanted to make sure he had considered every angle of the Christian faith before he made any decisions.

Mike and Dawn starting attending our church soon after it launched and they also started attending our neighborhood small group. Soon after we started, our group went through The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel, and the material in the book and the topics discussed in church each week slowly led them to the conviction that Jesus is who He said He was.

I can still remember the Sunday morning after church when Dawn told me that she and Mike had crossed the line of faith and become Christ-followers. Since then, they have started serving in ministry and growing in their faith. This spring, they were baptized in the river and told their story to our entire congregation. It has been a true privilege to see their lives impacted by the gospel of Jesus Christ. And I can't wait to see what God does with them in the years ahead.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Keith, that is SO encouraging! I'm thrilled that God used my book in the lives of Mike and Dawn. Please greet them for me and give them my best. In Christ, Lee Strobel www.LeeStrobel.com

Elizabeth said...

Enjoyed reading about Dawn and Mike...they are such a sweet couple. I've enjoyed getting to know them, too.
Love, Mom