Monday, January 12, 2009

Book Review: Same Kind of Different As Me (5/5)

Wow! This book is a tremendous read. Same Kind of Different As Me recounts the true story of two men whose lives become connected in a most unlikely way. One is a white, rich art-dealer from Ft. Worth (Ron) , and the other is a black homeless man who grew up in the cotton fields of Louisiana (Denver). They connect at a homeless shelter in Ft. Worth after Ron's wife, Debbie, feels the call from God to work at the Union Gospel Mission in downtown Ft. Worth. Neither man's life would ever be the same.

The chapters rotate point of view between Ron and Denver, giving the story a quick pace and the reader insight into the two men's different worldviews. I appreciate the honesty and transparency of both throughout the book as they share the triumphs celebrated and scars endured on their different journeys.

The book reads so much like fiction that many times I had the thought in the back of my mind that there is no way these events occurred in this way. I guess the ever-increasing reports of forgery and plagiarism in the publishing industry makes me suspicious of everyone's claims these days (so sad - check out the latest account here). But, the flip side is that this is simply a very well-written book about actual events. I am thankful to God for having read this book because it reminds me about God's heart for all people, rich and poor, and our tendency to judge people quickly before we ever get to know their story. Everyone has a story - maybe we just need to spend more time listening so we can see what God is up to in the lives of those we meet.

Thanks, Ron and Denver, for reminding me to open my eyes to all that God is doing in each person's life. May God give each of us a heart of compassion and love for others.

2 comments:

Marni said...

I read this one some time back. It touched on my favorite ministries we've been working with: homeless and cancer. I found it to be a very healing book in dealing with losing Courtney and Griffin and it also gave me a fresh perspective on the homeless friends we work among.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book. You should give Crazy Love a try. I'm three chapters into it and am totally hooked. It's an easy read but very convicting and thought provoking.

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad you liked it, too. I thought it was great! Good review...I totally agreed!
Love, Mom