Saturday, February 21, 2009

Stressful Week

The last seven days have been more stressful than most, but I can dimly see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know that God leads us through challenging times in the pressure-cooker of life in order to teach us to depend on Him more fully. The jury is still out on if I'm learning that lesson along the way.

We started the week with my wife Barie getting the flu. Note the self - when mom goes down for the count, the rest of the family looks like ants when the colony has been kicked with a giant shoe. Her mom and I scrambled to keep up with everything Barie does by herself - cleaning, playing with the kids, trips to the grocery store, time at the doctor's office, etc.

On Thursday, Kamden (our middle son), came down with the flu as well. He's now running fever and struggling to fight off this tough bug. I think Kale, our third son, is dealing with it now as well. So much sickness - we hope it all goes away soon.

With all this craziness going on with sickness, I was also trying to finalize the deals on our mortgage refinance that I've been working on for a month. Some old problems with our HOA resurfaced and some final battles had to be fought. In the end, however, the refinance went through on Friday and the process is done.

Today, we spent a few hours this morning working on our taxes and finished our 2008 return. We getting a small amount back, but I like it this way. I'd rather have my money during the year than let the IRS hold it for me.

In the midst of all of that, I've been working on one of the more challenging messages in the Risk-Takers sermon series. We've challenged our congregation with taking Risk this year for God, and we've been looking at figures throughout Scripture and church-history who have taken great risk for God. This week's message is about taking the risk to break through tradition when it leads us to miss the heart of God. I'm preaching about Peter in Acts 10 - his vision from God and ministry to Cornelius.

Talking about tradition is hard, mostly because it can be both bad and good depending on how it is used. I hope and pray that God is honored with what I say tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Hope all are feeling better soon! Wish we could be there to help. Thinking about you and keeping you all in our prayers for a speedy recovery.
Love, Mom & Dad