Saturday, March 07, 2009

Lessons from Fasting

"The Lord has established his throne in heaven, and his kingdom rules over all."
Psalm 103:19

So after a week of no television and spending more time in prayer with God, what have I learned? Well, a few observations from this week:

1) I've been reminded that God is available all the time. I know that sounds weird, but every time I wanted to watch TV in the evening, I would think about talking with God. And I was reminded that He's always open to talking with me.

2) I've been reminded that I have so much more PEACE in the midst of a stressful job and a crazy family when I am spending time talking with Jesus. Jesus says that His yoke is easy and his burden is light, but I only really experience that when I'm spending daily time in prayer.

3) I've been reminded that I get uncomfortable with long times of silence with God, mostly because He prods into the depths of my soul and shows me hidden areas of sin that I need to confess. Those times of hearing His voice and feeling that conviction can be unnerving, though so powerful.

SO, what did you learn during your week of fasting?

No comments: