Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Setting An Exercise Goal

Since Barie's triathlon two weeks ago, we have been talking about the benefits she enjoyed in working out because she knew that she was training for an event. With both of us being goal-oriented people, I am wondering if I don't need something to work towards instead of just working out to work out. With my diabetes, it is really important that I work out several times a week to stay healthy. But I also struggle with balancing all the demands on my time - walking daily with God, investing quality time in my kids, pursuing/dating my wife, and pastoring a church. Where does working out 4-5 times a week fit into this schedule? I know it can, but I need to be working toward something.

So, we're talking now about maybe signing up to run a half-marathon in the fall. San Antonio hosts a big run in November that sounds like a good one for us to run in, but to be honest, I'm a little terrified of the idea. I've never been a runner, and only through running with Barie in preparation for her triathlon have I run about 3 miles. That's my longest run. A half-marathon is 13 miles - ouch. So, we're talking about doing it. Should we set the goal and go for it? I don't know. Any thoughts? You have any goals that keep you motivated for exercising?

3 comments:

lynnette said...

if a former couch potato (that would be me) can complete an entire marathon, you can definitely do a half. i find that having races to run (whether they be 5Ks or half marathons; doubtful i'll do another full marathon!) is definitely a key to my motivation. if i know i've got a race to look forward to, some personal time to try and beat, i'm more likely to follow through with training on a regular basis.

lots of runners recommend hal higdon's training programs: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm

training is, of course, the way to do a half (or any long race). if you train, you can totally do it. it's a feasible goal. and, you get a medal at the end. super exciting. :)

Elizabeth said...

Oh, my....I have to think about this one for a while.
I think the exercising is wonderful, but just not sure where you and Barie will find the time for the necessary training for a half-marathon. Have you thought about trying some 5K's first?
Love, Mom

Aimee said...

DO IT! I did the Rock n Roll last year and it was a very good first Half Marathon for me...I highly recommend it! Very flat course, lots of music along the way, and A LOT of people cheering! It is a lot of fun and I agree with always needing to have a goal rather than just "working out". I decided that I just need to always have a race coming up within the 6 months...and I am good to go!