Thursday, June 17, 2010

Book Notes: Ford County (2/5)

I've read a lot of John Grisham books over the years, enjoying the earlier legal thrillers better than his later books, and so I picked up a used copy of his newest work, a collection of short stories, before we left for vacation.  The book is a quick read and the characters that Grisham introduces us to are interesting.  In spite of this, I didn't really enjoy the stories.  I tired of the combination of similar features in every story - lots of drinking, unethical small-town lawyers, frequent divorce, and time in prison.  I just couldn't get involved in any of the stories in any kind of meaningful way.  Maybe it was the fact that I just read Gilead a month ago, but either way, I found Grisham's writing in these stories to be repetitive and uninspiring.  Sin may be the universal point of contact between human beings, but stories without any redemptive value wear down the soul.

No comments: